Thursday, July 7, 2005

Hopeless

And I was saved.  It didn't take much for the blue-eyed- Colorado native temptress to excite my heart and sooth my soul.  A short phone call was all it took for that optimistic hope, so typical of my high school days, to return.

It's funny how easy it is sometimes to set me adrift in a field of merriment.  When the call was over, I
walked around in circles, because that's what I do when I'm excited, in the hot Uzbekistan sun imagining what my return to Denver would be like.  Although we only hung out twice I could see those bright blue eyes, parted hair and fair skin perfectly in my mind.  It's perfectly etched there, a monument of sorts as a tribute to the glories of a hope, once thought extinct, renewed. 

I can still see the liveliness of her spirit and the tenderness of her soul in those eyes of hers.  I think
eyes tell a lot about a person and hers spoke a ton to me.  It was like she saw right through to who I really was, like she opened up a Rubik’s cube and knew exactly how to put it together without ever reading the instructions or ever playing around with it.  She knew in two days what some people never know. 

But it didn't last.  The next day, I think she forgot what it was that she saw, or maybe she didn't trust
her instincts, I don't know.  But I do know that she saw it and, at the time at least, she didn't turn
away.  She embraced it and held it in her arms rocking it back and forth until it fell asleep and she put it down and snuck out of the room but it didn't stay asleep.  It cried out later that night and still cries out today half a world away.

And maybe it doesn't mean anything.  Maybe I'm just romanticizing the event but that's me.  That's who I am. I'm a hopeless romantic; Always have been, always will be.  Is that such a crime?  I picture a perfect, love at first sight romance filled with pleasant surprises and endless devotion.  I really... truly... honestly... believe that it exists.  I believe it in my heart. So, who's to say that this isn't that?

No comments:

Post a Comment