Thursday, December 2, 2004

Shiny Things


I like shiny things.  Not shiny, that's the wrong word, bright things.  I love bright things.  And I like them to contrast with dull things.  I love nothing more than to mix a bright thing with a dull thing and see what they look like together.  Actually I like dull things too.  I like cars in dull colors and houses and furniture.  But that's about it.  I like everything else to be bright and cheerful.

It's like it makes my whole world seem a little brighter.  I fall victim to the marketing ploys aimed at children all the time.  I buy surf laundry detergent because it has an orange base with a bright blue wave slashing through the side.  I bought my current shampoo because the fluorescent green against the black pleases my eyes.  I have the Sponge Bob Square Pants Colgate because it looked more fun the rest of the toothpastes.  And the toothpaste I bought before that I bought because there was a scratch and sniff on the outside of the box.  I'm an advertisers dream.  If a product looks more fun than the other products on the shelf, I'm going to buy it.  I went to McDonalds the other day because I saw a commercial for it.  And I didn't even like the commercial.  In fact I hated it.  All those stupid McDonald's commercials
that are trying to get urban drive me nuts.  Yet I still went out and bought a burger and fries and I plan on going back soon to collect their stupid
monopoly points. 

What is my problem?  Am I just mindless drone that can't escape the mindless programming that MTV and Nickelodeon and Disney, my god Disney! have pounded into my brain?  Am I an advertisement Zombie?  What happened to the days when all I wanted was to look like an old man?

I went through about a three-year phase where all I wanted to wear was old man clothes.  I loved knit sweaters and cardigans.  I liked the golf hats and plaid socks and the Clarks shoes.  I would only wear khakis or dress slacks or corduroy.  Actually I wanted to dress like Junior off of the Sopranos and it wasn't because of the show, the show wasn't even on at that point, I just wanted to look like an old man.  I thought they had a cool look.  A different style.  I wanted things to get back to the way they were in the twenties where everyone wore a suit and everything was in black and white, and brown, for some reason I loved brown.  I wanted the part in the middle of my hair and the hard gelled hair.  I wanted a name like Johnny Bullets or Diamond Dianni and one of those cars that were built like fortresses.  And what I wanted most of all was a Tommy gun, my very own Thompson automatic machine gun with its round magazine and skinny snout.  It was beautiful... inaccurate, but beautiful all the same.  Those were the days, when the Rainbow Room was full of stars and politicians and the rotating floor was light years beyond its competitors.

I guess things have changed.  The older I get the younger I want to be, the less I want to do and the brighter my world becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment