I love music. All types and variations, except maybe country. But there are even a few country songs that have a place in my heart.
When I wake up in the morning, I don't want to hear some radio talk show blabbing about what happened with the celebrities or other important life changing events in the world. That's not important to me at that moment. Who cares what about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston breaking up or that half the globe was demolished by a meteor when you haven't even left the house? That isn't going to put you in a good mood for the day. That definitely isn't going set your daily pace, your internal rhythm. No way. No. You need music in the morning.
When you have your music in the morning, you have music for the rest of the day. You may not have heard the song that's playing in your head that morning but listening to the music in the morning is just to get the Jukebox started. Once it's turned on you get to sift randomly through the collection of songs compiled in our mind. It's like having your own personal soundtrack. It's like you're always in a movie. I
personally like to have “Stayin Alive” pumping when I enter the office on my Monday mornings. It puts a little pimp in my stroll.
And that's what really matters, starting your day with the right stroll. If you do this every day you'll start to realize that your life is like this enormous well orchestrated film which any portion can be played in your mind just by pressing the play button on the song title in your head. It's that simple.
For instance, today I was listening to this song that goes "all I want to do is zooma zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom" and it brought me wayyyyyyy back to the seventh grade when I was dating the overdeveloped girl with the blue eyes and the hairy arms who made me kiss her with tongue in the barn at her friends house on the half day, circling it around like it was a ferris wheel, changing my life forever. That slimy awkward spasm seemed to me, to be, a gift from heaven, sent just for me. It was after that day that all I ever wanted to do was zooma zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom.
Then I started to think about that one song that goes "hey fat boyyyyyyy ahhhhhhhhhyeahh i wanna make you smile" and it brought me back to that fateful day back in high school when I was drunk at that party dancing and singing and having people roundhouse kick me in the head while I was wearing a bike helmit. i did "the tuck" later for a bunch of fans of mine and then passed out on the floor next to the full-scholarship winning defensive tackle that had fallen victim to the old tampon in the mouth with toothpaste trick hours before my concussion set in.
And if there is one song that could describe my senior year it would have to be "Dammit" by Blink 182. A buddy of mine used to make me listen to it before going out to parties because I was always a day late
and a buck short. It became a sort of ritual. We had to expel the old demons before taking on new ones. Sitting in the truck in the parking lots of supermarket stores we'd jam to the song like we were
on the stage performing it ourselves and then dive off to the party.
This was all before my Billy Joel days when I was the Innocent Man trying to get the Uptown Girl who would eventually show me something that I hadn't felt For the Longest Time. It was also before The Drought and Subliminal Revival and it was way before I realized that I Can't Stop because I'm addicted to the shindig and Only the Good Die Young.*
Nowadays there's too much music that I listen to, too many songs and groups that I've downloaded and love and play on a frequent basis to decipher any real prominent title track. It makes sense for were I'm at in my life at the moment with all of this love. It's still just spewing out and I'm not sure what to do with it all. I guess maybe the Angel Pumping Gas would know.
*Note The Drought and Subliminal Revival are just chapter titles I've given to parts of my life, not songs.
When I wake up in the morning, I don't want to hear some radio talk show blabbing about what happened with the celebrities or other important life changing events in the world. That's not important to me at that moment. Who cares what about Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston breaking up or that half the globe was demolished by a meteor when you haven't even left the house? That isn't going to put you in a good mood for the day. That definitely isn't going set your daily pace, your internal rhythm. No way. No. You need music in the morning.
When you have your music in the morning, you have music for the rest of the day. You may not have heard the song that's playing in your head that morning but listening to the music in the morning is just to get the Jukebox started. Once it's turned on you get to sift randomly through the collection of songs compiled in our mind. It's like having your own personal soundtrack. It's like you're always in a movie. I
personally like to have “Stayin Alive” pumping when I enter the office on my Monday mornings. It puts a little pimp in my stroll.
And that's what really matters, starting your day with the right stroll. If you do this every day you'll start to realize that your life is like this enormous well orchestrated film which any portion can be played in your mind just by pressing the play button on the song title in your head. It's that simple.
For instance, today I was listening to this song that goes "all I want to do is zooma zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom" and it brought me wayyyyyyy back to the seventh grade when I was dating the overdeveloped girl with the blue eyes and the hairy arms who made me kiss her with tongue in the barn at her friends house on the half day, circling it around like it was a ferris wheel, changing my life forever. That slimy awkward spasm seemed to me, to be, a gift from heaven, sent just for me. It was after that day that all I ever wanted to do was zooma zoom zoom zoom and a boom boom.
Then I started to think about that one song that goes "hey fat boyyyyyyy ahhhhhhhhhyeahh i wanna make you smile" and it brought me back to that fateful day back in high school when I was drunk at that party dancing and singing and having people roundhouse kick me in the head while I was wearing a bike helmit. i did "the tuck" later for a bunch of fans of mine and then passed out on the floor next to the full-scholarship winning defensive tackle that had fallen victim to the old tampon in the mouth with toothpaste trick hours before my concussion set in.
And if there is one song that could describe my senior year it would have to be "Dammit" by Blink 182. A buddy of mine used to make me listen to it before going out to parties because I was always a day late
and a buck short. It became a sort of ritual. We had to expel the old demons before taking on new ones. Sitting in the truck in the parking lots of supermarket stores we'd jam to the song like we were
on the stage performing it ourselves and then dive off to the party.
This was all before my Billy Joel days when I was the Innocent Man trying to get the Uptown Girl who would eventually show me something that I hadn't felt For the Longest Time. It was also before The Drought and Subliminal Revival and it was way before I realized that I Can't Stop because I'm addicted to the shindig and Only the Good Die Young.*
Nowadays there's too much music that I listen to, too many songs and groups that I've downloaded and love and play on a frequent basis to decipher any real prominent title track. It makes sense for were I'm at in my life at the moment with all of this love. It's still just spewing out and I'm not sure what to do with it all. I guess maybe the Angel Pumping Gas would know.
*Note The Drought and Subliminal Revival are just chapter titles I've given to parts of my life, not songs.
No comments:
Post a Comment