Everywhere is home. That is my new motto. I realized this when I said I was going to VA and called it “home”. When I was living in VA, Rochester was home… unless I was in Rochester, then VA was home. When I was ready to leave VA to come back to Kuwait… I said I was going home. So which is it? I say they’re all home in one way or another. Home is relative.
Rochester will always be “home” because that is where my parents live. VA was still home because I owned a home there. Now, Kuwait is home, because it is where my job and “normal” life is… although “real life” is still in the United States. This life out here is kind of non-life. It’s a break from life while real life is on hold in the States.
I wonder if prisoners call their cell home, or if travelling circus performers call their trailer a home. Sometimes I even call the lodge during a snowboarding trip or the hotel by the beach home. I guess home for me is any place that I can relax and I am out of the elements. I wish I could say that there has been a moment where I have felt that the outdoors was my home. I have really become obsessed with certain outdoor activities and intend to continue to develop this interest… but the truth is I have never called the outdoors home. Outdoors is always vacation for me. Maybe that could be the “great change” in my life that will alter me in a way that opens my mind to completely different and exciting possibilities in the future. Or maybe home just needs a TV.
I play HIMYM on a loop in my apartment in Kuwait, it makes me feel at home. When I was in VA, I played FrasierTV (Frasier on a loop) because it reminded me of home (Rochester). The 25th hour, the Spike Lee joint with Edward Norton is one of my favorite movies because of its accurate description of NYC, (ie home).
I guess the point is, I find home everywhere I go and everywhere I go is home.
I like this post and I LOVE the 25th hour! Such an underrated movie.
ReplyDelete