Saturday, November 26, 2005

She's Callin'

The city is calling me. It overwhelms my senses, penetrates and swells my heart and questions why I've been away so long. "Why do you run, when you say you love me so?" "Because that's what I do", I answer, "Running is what I know". I'm a marathon runner with no clear end in sight but with music in my ears, sweat trickling down my body and a burning face of despair that says "just one more mile". But when that mile is reached, the next mile doesn't seem too far so I just keep going. The city streets still crawl with me. They wonder when I'll accept my place and stay where I belong, when I'll accept that NY is my home and that California is just an illusion. They wonder why I'm in Denver and why I let these shoes talk me into further travels. They don't understand my plight and they want me back where I belong. They claw at my heart and make it ache the way a sour love does with her deceptive ways. They show their selves in every facet of my life, teasing me with their seductive days: The hint of excitement underneath a night out on the town; The faint smell a sweet cashew stand; The imitation sounds of live music with some soul. The clues never add up. The city streets remain amiss. They call for me, they crawl with me, they claw at me. I'm comin' baby I'm comin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment