Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Madden


I have an addiction.  For those of you who think that I am joking in any way have only to look at my puffy red eyes on a day off that I've spent at home to realize that it is serious, that I’m serious.  My name is John Dianni and for the past 8 years or so I've been addicted to John Madden football, only on the Playstation 2 though.  Not that it makes it any better but only on the Playstation 2.

I recently tried to quit.  I sold my Playstation while I was in Uzbekistan and I didn't even buy madden or try to special order to it before it came out like I usually do.  This was the first time in, I dunno, at
least five years that I didn't play Madden on the very day that it came out, and for a little while I thought that i wouldn’t ever play it again.

But then the season started and I wondered how all of the Giants new draft picks would rated on the game.  I started to think about that new middle linebacker that I'd be able to utilize and the upgraded secondary.  I started to think about what an impact Plaxico would have on my game and the great lineman that I would have to protect Eli.  The temptation was too much.  I bought Madden 2006 before I bought a new Playstation.  To me, the only reason a Playstation is worth having is to play Madden.  I first played this years version at my buddy's house, on his Playstation and then when I got settled in, I bought one of the small new PS2's despite the fact that the PS3 will be coming out soon. By that point, the football season would almost be over and even though I still play when the season is over, it's not the same as when the season is in full swing.  There is something about being able to watch a Giants game and then go to my PS2 and use the same players that i just watched play on TV.  It's like you get to take part in the season with them.  You're part of the team.

But at some point, and this is a point that every Madden player reaches during any madden season, you lose.  Now hopefully you bounce right back and win the next couple but that's not what usually happens.  No what happens is you lose and then you lose and then you lose some more and then your emotions get involved and you start throwing things at the walls or out the window.  You try to stomp on the controller with the heel of your boot because it's all the controller's fault that the computerized Eli Manning threw an interception to a computerized Ray Lewis when you... YOU, pressed the button to make this happen. 

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it, a video game screwing with people's emotions like this but it's true.  And
for you Madden player's out there reading this I dare you to try and deny it.  I lived with my cousin for two and a half years and the only time we ever argued was when it had to do with Madden.  The same with my roommate Charlie.  There was a period of maybe two days straight that we did not talk because of a game of Madden.  There are few things that I've taken very seriously in this world and Madden is one of them.

According to the bio on the memory card, I've spent three full weeks, day and night playing Madden in the past two years.  Three full weeks, 24 hours of every day, approximately 450 hours of my life in just the past two years have been documented that i have spent playing Madden.  That doesn't include the six years or so before that and is probably very modest a number considering I'm almost positive that I've spent close to triple or quadruple that amount of time playing.  The bio is only saved if you choose to save and most of the time I didn't.  My life is wasting away and all I'm going to have to show for it is some callused fingers horrible eyesight. 

I have cancelled dates because of Madden games.  I have been late to meetings, made and ruined
friendships and neglected to do schoolwork on time because of this video game.  Just yesterday I spent eight hours playing it online when I should have been getting ahead on my homework.  And I was miserable the whole time, because now that everyone has been playing for weeks now and I've just picked it up, I suck.  To catch up to where these people are in their game would take me months probably and even then I wouldn’t because they would have to stop getting better.  So now, not only do I rot this precious life away in front of this machine, I'm miserable while I do it. 

I think the time has come for me to wrap up that controller cord and finally say good bye to Madden and video games in general.  It's the wrong path and I've taken it long enough.  I have to just quit it
cold turkey and not look back.  maybe just one more game, to kind of say goodbye.... no?  Not even one?  Fine...  it's done.  My name is John Dianni and I am a (PS2) John Madden football addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment